Sunday, August 2, 2009

lazy oscar traveling

I like to travel. I like to travel internationally and have been to such cities as Rome, Madrid, London and other big cities in Europe. One thing I don't like to do is plan out my traveling.

So this is what i like to do when I get to a big city, I get a one day pass for the hop on hop off sight seeing bus. these hop on hope off buses generally travels in a circle and stops at major attractions. whats great about this is that you can get off and on at any time for the whole day. So you could go around in circles all day or spend all day in one spot. I used this tour bus as a way to check off all the must see tourist spots and also gave me idea if I want to come back to a certain area. Usually, I would see the sites all in one day and then use rest of my vacation based off what i saw from the bus tour to stroll around the city, hang out cafes or restaurants. the bus tour is particularly handy if you're only going to be in the city for one day or two.

Here is another tip if you plan to stay longer then a few days: buy a guide book. Not necessarily to use, but as a back up plan. I'm guide book hater and prefer venture out on my own. A few years ago I was in Rome and after venturing out to several crappy restaurants, i was ready to find something that was good. I grabbed the guide book that i brought but never opened and found a nice small restaurant that was off the beaten path. Turned out to be great and I wouldn't have likely find it out without the book.

Another tip is to use the guide book to tell which bus tour you should take. Not all are the same and hotel's recommendation won't necessarily be the best one. I also found that out in Rome when i went with the hotel's recommendation. They were really nice about booking it but when i got to the beginning stop where all the bus tours start, I realized the tour bus that they had booked was the most run down out of all the tours. So if you do decide to go with hotels recommendation, wait on purchasing it until you see the bus and the set up.

Happy lazy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment